Seriously though, put very simply it’s because Facebook has over 150,000,000 daily active users. If that’s not enough to convince you, let’s talk about what those hundreds of millions of people are doing on Facebook and how and why you need to interact with them.
Facebook and social media in general, has fast become the modern day “word of mouth”. It is where people can learn about your school, talk about your school and do their online research about you. This can be either a positive or a negative for your institution, but here are a few reasons you need to be on Facebook and more importantly, have a Facebook strategy:
- Get your Message out – Facebook is an extremely effective communication tool if used properly. It is a forum to discuss upcoming events, gatherings, discuss deadlines and due dates and engage with your growing community of fans. It is also a place where your international students, both current and prospective can engage each other.
- It’s Free – Today’s marketing budgets are extremely tight. You now have to balance traditional efforts with the new digital age that is constantly changing. With a Facebook plan in place, you have the ability to reach prospective and current students for free and interact with them where they are spending their time. It is your opportunity to build an interactive community of fans. After all, Facebook’s reach is across 70% of all internet users!
- Online reputation management – People use Facebook to talk about the good, the bad and the ugly. They use it to ask questions, to talk about good experiences and bad experiences. If something positive is said, you can respond with a thank you. If something negative is said, you can respond to that in a tactful manner. If a question is asked, you have the ability to answer it. Facebook gives you an opportunity to be a part of the online conversations that are happening about you.
- SEO Benefits – As Google continues to change the way consumers connect with businesses or in your case, students connect with schools, facebook actually is playing a role in how you show up in the organic listings. The more presence you have on social media channels, the more this will benefits your rankings.
- Share Different Media – Facebook allows you to share media including videos, pictures and links. What better way to get your message out. You can share recruiting videos, student pictures and more. What other medium allows you these options?
- Competitors – If your not aware of this already, your competitors have a Facebook strategy and are using this to recruit students. They are already engaging them and conversing with them online and it is working for them.
These are just a few of the many reasons to develop a Facebook strategy, I am sure I have not hit them all and please feel free to share your comments and views on why being on Facebook is important.
Facebook can be a great way to connect with your current students as well as to use as a free resource to reach future students. If you want to learn more about social media or internet marketing efforts, stay tuned. We will be covering many more topics in the coming weeks including topics like groups Vs. pages, how to effectively manage a Facebook campaign, Facebook secrets and much more!