International Education Pick of the Week – 10th May 2013

pick-of-the-weekOur international education pick of the week centres around the USA, with changes for students entering the USA not only with the new I-94 procedures, but also some new checks that have been ordered as a direct result of the terrible Boston Marathon bombings. We also have some excellent tips on how to effectively market on social media sites – simple but very sound advice!

Rollout of new I-94 procedures in the USA

If you are a subscriber of our International Student Newsletter, you will have seen this week one of our leading articles about the changes that are currently being rolled out through ports of entry in the USA concerning the I-94 form. Traditionally this form was a paper document that you needed to complete prior to arrival in the USA, and the immigration officer would then staple this to your passport as proof of entry. However starting at the end of April and rolling out through the month of May, this procedure will be automated so that students will not need to complete a physical I-94 document, and it will instead be available electronically online once they arrive in the USA.

US Orders New Visa Review

As a direct result of the Boston Marathon bombings last month, the Department of Homeland Security has issued an internal memorandum that requires all immigration officers to verify that international students hold a valid visa at the time of entry. The change comes after it emerged that the student visa for Azamat Tazhayakov had been terminated when he arrived in New York, but this was not checked. Tazhayakov was a friend and classmate of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s and is charged with assisting in hiding evidence after the bombings.

Tips for Better Content Marketing on Social Media

We all know that social media is all the buzz at the moment – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram…. there are so many platforms, but how do you effectively market to them? This week, an excellent article from the ICEF Monitor provided some very simple tips to effectively market yourself on social media channels. Social Media should always be one part of your marketing mix, and with these very simple tips, they can steer you in the right direction to make sure you can maximize your potential.

With NAFSA 2013 creeping up in a few weeks, we look forward to seeing you all there – we will be there in force:

• Envisage International – Booth #1612
  • International Student Insurance – Booth #1610

As always you can follow us on Twitter @EnvisageIntl or follow me @rossjlmason

This entry was posted in Pick of the week and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.