As part of our series in how to use social media to better your recruiting efforts, I thought it would be fun to take a break and check out some fun facts about the two most useful social media sites, Facebook and Twitter.
- Launched February 2004.
- 640,000,000 active users that’s almost 200 million more people than live in the US.
- 250,000,000 get their Facebook fix daily. That’s like the entire population of Indonesia!
- 250 million access Facebook via their mobile device.
- 130 is the average number of friends each user has (I feel like a loser now)
- 700 Billion minutes spent on Facebook each month! That’s like 11 B hours.
- 30 Billion is the amount of content created monthly.
- Only 30% of the traffic comes from the US but makes up 25% of all US page views.
- Facebook has reached over 2000 employees in 25 international offices.
- Supporting the 2000 employees is 2 Billion in 2011 projected revenue.
- Became the leading social media site in April 2008 when they passed My Space.
- In 2008, Collins English Dictionary declared “Facebook” as their new Word of the Year
- The first tweet was sent on March 21st five years ago.
- 145,000,000 users. That’s roughly the size of Russia.
- 140 Million Tweets sent daily! That is one tweet for every person living in Curacao. One year ago it was 50 Million
- 3 years, 2 months and 1 day is how long it took to get from the first tweet ever to 1 billion.
- 1 week, how long it takes to get to 1 billion today.
- 18 months to reach 500,000 members
- 460,000 is the average number of new accounts created each day
- 40% of Twitters traffic comes from US
- 6939 Tweets Per Second (TPS) is the record set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New years.
- 400 employees as of January 2011 in seven US based offices.
As you can see from the stats above, both Facebook and Twitter have achieved explosive growth since they were created. Do you think Facebook and Twitter are here to stay? What do you think the next social media craze will be?
Sources: Mashable, facebook.com, ComScore, blog.twitter.com